|1710||It seems probable that the present site of Castle Bungalow was the place on which was situate The Shop given as the address of HHII in the deed of transfer of 2 acres from John Levitt.|
|1834||The Post Mill was included in the sale by the Unwins of Hill Farm|
|1866||It was held sequentially by Daniel Unwin|
|1870||Geo Unwin also 1874|
|1878||Daniel Unwin junior also 1882|
|1906||Mrs E Unwin|
|1908||Daniel Herbert Unwin. He spent a lot of money on repairs;|
latterly it used a petrol engine & was operated by a Mr Cranfield.
|1909||3rd December: “Stambourne: Mill wrecked” “…dislocated beyond repair”.|
|1910||May; the ruins were auctioned off.|
|1963||The brick byres were on the site & remained unused save as a coach house for years|
|1980||Mr Argent builds Castle Bungalow.|
Chestnut Horse Farm
[The Chestnuts] is another building of uncertain age in the area now called Mill Road.
@ the Toppesfield turning is more than a mile away & was always small. Geo Smith farmed 16 acres in 1837. The house was recovered from a ruin in about 1970 and now has just a small garden. There was a mill of unknown type here between it and The Elms. Robert & Edward Jarvis were here in 1804-1815.
Thus four mills on differing sites are recorded in the XIXc. Another is mentioned in the Feet of Fines in 1540 as being in Ridgewell and Stambourne. This is probably one of the many references to Ridgewell Norton and suggests there was a fifth windmill servicing Slough, Green, Revells & both the Nortons farms in what I am calling the fourth area.
Now the White House was a second public House in 1965 when it closed. It is a large imposing but undistinguished building, probably of the XVIIIc. That it was once prosperous is evidenced by a surviving photograph of perhaps fifty men preparing for a shoot on its forecourt.
The known Publicans were:
|1760||may have been Mr Key; the measures inspector does not specify which house in his report.|
|1836||William & Jane Wallman [from Rector]|
|1845 & 48||Thos Shelley [Whites Directory]|
|1876 & 78||John Wright marries Esther Jarvis; still there 1878|
|1880||E Wiffen m Mary Ann|
|1881||Edward, aet 27 y and Mary Ann, aet 27 y Wiffen were still landlords|
|1902||J T Bonner|
|1933||Harry Bright; also 1938|
|1960s||Mr & Muriel Crow, were landlords:|
|1965||She was Treasurer of the PCC and served us from the last barrel on her last day; her husband had already died.|
|1995||Muriel was very ill herself and not like to last long.|
An Elizabethan house in Dyers End , also functioned as a third hostlery. “Good Beer Sold Here. It now has little of the 23 acres owned by Wm Woodham in 1837 which were farmed by Edward Eame.
A much larger and older house on the opposite of the road now probably has acquired all the lands hereabouts, most of which belonged originally to the Grenvilles.
Return to Chapter 6 – Lay governance and buildings