BT have now installed the cabinet at Hill Farm which will provide “Superfast Broadband” to Stambourne.
This involved laying a fibre optic cable from our exchange at Ridgewell and installing the new cabinet, shown left. According to the BT status checker, they will soon be connecting the power and data lines to the cabinet, followed by testing and then they will accept orders. Apparently, this takes up to 4 months.
So, by May or June, people will have fibre broadband available in Stambourne, should they wish to purchase high-speed internet access.
Of course, other options for fast broadband such as County Broadband are still available for those who can receive it, or satellite broadband as an alternative.
However, fibre broadband offers some advantages over other technologies such as those used by County Broadband and satellite broadband such as not being affected by weather and being available to all once the upgrade has taken place. Also, there is no need to install any receiving equipment on the house such as dishes or aerials – all that’s required is a new router, similar in style to the existing ones many people already have.
As mentioned previously in the newsletter, the speed available will largely depending on the distance of your house from the cabinet near Hill Farm but it’s likely that everyone will be able to get at least 10Mb/s, an increase of over 10 times the speed which is currently available.
Buy us a coffee! ☕
For almost 15 years the Stambourne website has been entirely funded by one single person. Now we are asking for a small token donation, to keep things running smoothly. If you find value in our website and in what it offers, consider buying us a virtual coffee ☕
Use the button below to make a contribution, however small, to the upkeep and running costs. We would be immensely grateful for the support. Thank you! And cheers!
Latest broadband updates
- Superfast broadband: January 2021 – Services liveJanuary 2021 // Superfast broadband now available in Stambourne. Both Gigaclear and County Broadband are now live in Stambourne, with […]
- Superfast broadband: May 2020Gigaclear are now accepting orders and installation slots for connecting their full-fibre, up-to 900Mb/1Gb service along Cornish Hall End Road. […]
- Superfast broadband: more Gigaclear delaysGigaclear are yet again delaying super fast broadband along Cornish Hall End Road due to an apparent connectivity issue. Despite […]
- Superfast broaband: Gigaclear are liveGigaclear are live along Cornish Hall End Road. Full-fibre (up to 900Mb/s) can now be ordered for premises along Cornish […]
- Superfast broadband: yet another Gigaclear delayGigaclear/Superfast Essex announced in August that their project is delayed yet again and an early estimate is December 2019 for […]